Thursday, July 17, 2008

sleepers and readers

It's easy to draw sleepers and readers. Everyone else is jittery as hell. The nicest people I meet on public transit are the ones sitting near or beside me when I draw. I get a lot of smiles and warm words of encouragement. Never had any outright hostility. It seems I don't offend much when I stare. Maybe that's because I find people so beautiful to look at, they're OK with my attitude.

The whole process of drawing in public is fun because my likenesses are so close that in a few minutes I can nail facial features while the train is moving and I'm standing even. People like seeing the accuracy. It's nice how time spent drawing turns into skills. Now I just wish I had a style. Something unique.

The baby in the stroller was from Israel. His Dad and Bubie were a little uptight with me staring at their child/grandchild. Until I smiled and showed them the drawing. Then they relaxed and the father chatted away with me about his long journey to Canada via Austria and England. He plans to move to San Diego to the warmer weather.

6 comments:

Paula Eisenstein said...

I was with you when you drew that last dude. I had no idea how you were going to navigate drawing his chin and neck from that angle.

I think he got off at Glencairn.

Ever see anybody sleep through their stop? It doesn't really happen does it? Somehow everyone always wakes up in time for their stop.

Anonymous said...

fabulous drawings and writings. glad i found this!

Anonymous said...

I think you DO have a unique style. There's something about your drawing that makes me want to see more! I picture what the person is all about when I see these...

Larry Eisenstein said...

You make me want to do more Jen. I can't believe how support like that can pump me up! I need a Jen IV... after the blood test.

Larry Eisenstein said...

I'm glad too orangey! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

i didn't know that you don't think you have style, Dad. I've always seen your art as distinct and very involved, lots of detail. Almost every person I've ever shown your work to is always open jawed and squinting at details, short on words to describe your expression of an image. Not only that, but you have so many different styles, your sports art, your cigar guys, your earlier stories, your subway works (somewhat surreal but grounded in realism), your organic stuff you're doing now, and definately more.