Wednesday, March 19, 2008

drawing sucked

We camped at the Pinery Provincial Park on Lake Huron in August last year. I had a rough night the day before we left for home. On the morning of our last day at our trip I got up early. Jacob and Paula were sleeping in. I made a fire and later after we had eaten breakfast, I got out my sketchbook and sketched the last sticks of firewood burning on a mound of embers and ash, in the fire pit.

Paula and I were behaving badly towards each other, we were wary of each other and distant. We had had a fight while strolling together on a long sandy beach. Paula used to visit this park oa lot as a child. I think she was seeing ghosts. We were holding hands and enjoying the beautiful warm sunny weather and everything was good, this is what we had come here for. The closeness turned upside with a few words and a few overreactions and we were deep into another cold wars.

We exchanged accusations and expressions of shock and hurt we retreated to enclaves within ourselves. Jacob read on a big beach blanket while Paula and I stewed in suffering. He looked up and reconnoitering our faces looking for a resolved dispute, hoping that these 2 big angry babies, dumped on his vacation, were immediately replaced by his nice parents. Every 1\2 hour or so he'd stop playing or swimming in the water and see if he could broker a peace, giving us individualized quality-time love injections. Compelled to nurse us off our misery, the impasse confused Jacob. He looked a little bored and terrified at the same time.

As they slept, I stoked a huge fire, drank Sauza's Tequila and played songs on my MP3 player. I cried into the bottle. Sitting in one of those folding chairs that you can stuff in a trunk, I looked at the stars, stared long into the fire and stumbled into the woods to pee. The area was speckled with moonlight filtering through the canopy of leaves. I wandered back and repeated this whole deal 5 or 6 more time. The air was cold damp, the campground silent.

It was difficult to draw that morning, my anger and despair over another stupid estranged night. But I do hate drawing mostly anyways. It's part of hating myself for nothing in particular. My parents have a lot to do with it. But I'm working on that.

This whole emotional scenario is a regular fixture of our relationship, a sunken sofa cushion of funk, but not as bad as it used to be. Drawing couldn't make me feel better though. If you know me you probably think drawing might be my eye of the hurricane, where I probably feel peaceful and somewhere I can process trauma and anxiety, but actually when I'm feeling this kind of sick inside, it's practically useless.

But if I had let these events drift away one more time in a helpless stupor it would have made me unbearably sadder. Having so much distance between Paula and I, our hearts, it's the worst feeling I know.

3 comments:

Jen Spinner said...

I'm always perplexed at how lovely, easy moments can quickly turn sour. Whenever it happens to me, it feels out-of-body.

Jen

Blogs are BS. said...

I get lost in your writing, Larry. Mostly I think it's because I try to relate to you in respect to my own love life. I don't know why I try to relate or compare, I guess it's because on some level I want you to feel better. Can't we all just get along?

Thank you for your supportive words at commencement, I really needed some honest criticism of my portfolio and setup, I knew I would find it in you. In all honesty I have to say that you are and always be my favorite teacher, because of that one thing; Honesty.

So please, when I force you to be a reference, give glowing reviews, and not honest ones. Trust me, I'm laughing

Larry Eisenstein said...

Thanks for caring Brian. I feel much better when I reflect, write and post this blog. I love the connections I make in this small act of self-publishing.

Generally I'm happier than I can ever recall in my life. Paula and I have our struggles, but we're doing good mostly.

Important to me are the wonderful experiences I've been having since starting teaching 5 years ago. I've worked with some amazing kids like yourself and developed good relationships with many faculty and grads.

You've been a great asset in the classrooms we've shared over the last 2 years. I'll be pleased to give you any support you need going forward. Here's watching your progress.