Wednesday, August 06, 2008

a beautiful young girl on the train

The winter in Toronto has it's share of despair. People appear defeated, resigned to zombie apathy, a behavior they despise in others. You have to work hard to feel good here. You don't wake up December through March with the gift of feeling good because of the glorious weather or environment. You have to earn it. And it doesn't come cheap.

The morning faces wear dread and the evening ones appear pummeled. It's not what I'm trying to depict. But what I remember looking through my subway drawing journals. Mostly I feel joy as I draw standing in the crowds of commuters. fighting for balance and elbow room . I'm smiling like crazy inside. But what I see when I look at these pages a half year later just seems lonely and sad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

no, not lonely and sad. i rarely ride trains but when i do, i tend to think we are all in pause mode, and enjoying that.

Anonymous said...

I love the subway, I feel like I'm in a giant cradle - it's so easy falling asleep.

By the way, we've got a kitten - her name is Gloria!

Fabulous drawings as usual. I love the mini-text on your last drawing that says, "Paula and I have been fighting".

Larry Eisenstein said...

Yes, I love riding too! I guess sometimes I get fooled and project some of my own glumness on everybody.