Thursday, October 23, 2008

etching class

I'm taking etching at the Open Studio, a printmaking studio in Toronto. My teacher is Emma Nishimura. She's an excellent instructor. There are 8 students taking the course and they are all really into it. I'm finding it tremendously exciting. I love the actual etching of course. It's just drawing with new tools. But all the many physical aspects of the process right down to the elaborate clean up rituals are very satisfying as well. It's nice to come out of my head and get down and dirty with all the mess involved!

I'm pleased with the results so far. I can't wait to get more plates to etch, and try lithography and screen printing next. I love this stuff and it's so nice to be in a room full of other artists. I like the feedback. I like watching them create. It's not so lonely. Paula's been very encouraging. She likes the textures in the prints. She said she likes them better than my abstract ink drawings on paper. I can see why. The textures are incredibly sensual and exotic in the prints, compared to the flatter high contrast black on white of the drawings.

2 comments:

Paula Eisenstein said...

And now I have a copy of one them on my work studio wall. Yea!

In addition to the benefits of etching you observe, the little buggers produce themselves in greater quantities making it more likely for me to get the pleasure of viewing them for an extended basis on my studio wall.

Anonymous said...

they are gorgeous, paula is correct about the qualities.. and yes, mass production can be a joy :)